Friday, April 3, 2020

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow -- Audrey Hepburn


Texas began a "stay-at-home" order statewide effective today due to Covid-19.  We are only allowed away from home for essential activities.  Fortunately, going to the park for exercise is considered one of those essential activities....as long as we comply with the social distancing rules. 
So I try to get in 3-4 miles at Bringle a few times a week.  And do some wildflower hunting along the way.  There are new blooms every time I go out there!

Cutleaf Evening Primrose at the TAMUT pond

this one is getting ready to close up for the day

Mock Vervain 

Quince -- Japanese or Chinese?

Bristle Thistle, aka Horrid Thistle

It's more than just a horrid weed -- pollinators love it and bumble bees use parts of it for building their nests

Fishing is another "essential" activity allowed
lots of Common Bracken fern around Bringle Lake

no super close-ups because it's under the boardwalk......with the gators

reflections

With the dwindling crowds, wildlife think they own the place!
Don't you know wildlife around the country love reclaiming their land.

a couple of tree huggers, or should I say "hugging trees"

topsy turvy reflections

love this cool tree

Ive been studying this uprooted tree for a few years now.  Seems like the perfect spot to see critters.
This got me a little excited because it reminded me of a Jack-in-the Pulpit.  And tho we have them here, I'd never seen one in  our neck of the woods.  But after consulting with my iNat app, I think it's the start of a Shaggy Bark Hickory..

Wish?



See the closed playground in the background?

If Poison Ivy could be considered pretty, this would be a good example 

Lyreleaf Sage

The only spot I saw any was right next to the Poison Ivy tree.
Gotta do whatcha gotta do, right?

Ahhh, April in the south!

this Flowering Dogwood had one limb low enough for me to reach for a pic

back home our Prairie Phlox is popping out

I know I need to pull this False Dandelion away from my Amaryllis.  But it looks cool for now.

Amaryllis waking up

Stay healthy and happy my friends!  And believe in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment