Friday, May 27, 2016

Roughlock Falls




5-18-16:  Took one of our first hikes in Spearfish Canyon today,  Beautiful, cool, crisp morning!  The sun was shining, the birds were singing......you get the idea. Only sad thing was that I forgot to wear my fitbit.  Don't think I can talk my challengers into adding 2 or 3 miles onto my total. lol.

Roughlock Falls is considered one of the most stunning locations in the Black Hills. Cinematographers decided to shoot the final scenes of "Dances With Wolves" here.


roughlock from Ft. Meade
A little side note before we head down the trail.  A roughlock was a device that was chained onto wagon wheels before a steep decent. There are steep decents aplenty in the BH.  A roughlock allowed their wagon to slide down a hill. Roughlock is also a verb when describing how early settlers would sometimes use logs to "roughlock" their wheels.


And we're off through the Aspens.  As I find myself saying way too often lately, I will come back and label pix later.  We are so enjoying the great outdoors up here in SD, that I am more limited than usual on my blogging time.  Enjoy the pix!











really hoping to see this little guy


























And here he is!  The American Dipper is a lifer for us!



















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment