Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Back Home on the Range


this dandelion never stood a chance


canola fields in Kansas

hundreds of swallow nests on the overpasses on Cimerron Turnpike

stunning sunset even amidst the smoke from nearby wildfires

4-1-16:  It's always tough to leave T-town.  We had so much fun there in March with family and friends.  Looking forward to all that we love in Doo-Dah.

Today as we left Texas we passed through lush fields of Bluebonnets between Avery and Clarksville.  So pretty.

4-2-16:  Got to watch Andrew's first soccer game of the season today!  (see Soccer Star post).  Afterwards we all went to Billy Sims BBQ in Andover.  Billy S was a football star from our neck of the woods -- Hooks, TX.  He played for the Sooners and now has a chain of these bbq joints.  We'd never tried the one in Texarkana, but Brooke highly recommends this one and it didn't disappoint! The bake potato salad is awesome.

Brooke and the praise band from their church
4-3-16:  It was great returning to Central Christian Church in Wichita this morning.  We really love it there.  

This evening we met Justin, Brooke and boys at the community center in Douglass for a community singalong. And afterwards we went with Asher to his karate lesson.


impressive moves

he has a kick!

and a stick!  yikes!
So glad we got to watch him learn his karate moves!


4-5-16:  I've been after Lissa to send me some prego pix and today I got some.  Isn't she beautiful?

Lissa and Patrick

so cute!
We can't wait to meet baby Wren Elizabeth.  So excited for them. They are due at the end of May or early June.  Ironically, just today David and I had an interview with Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park in AZ for next winter.  So excited that we'll get to spend some time with the 3 of them!

Rocky's birthday ice cream cone -- which was actually mine to start with

4-6-16: Today is our little trooper's 14th birthday.  Love this baby.


my man on the GPNC trails

4-7-16:  David and I took a hike at GPNC to celebrate Jakeb's 40th birthday! That's our story.  Can't believe my first nephew is already 40!  I love him and his little family.

this muskrat shows off for visitors near the center -- can you see him?

the butterflies are loving the Japanese Cherry trees

things are starting to bloom on the trails

how many different birds can you see here?

wanted this pretty shot of the wetlands and noticed the bird after I got home

wild violet

another muskrat on Chisholm Creek

I kinda spooked him, but managed to get a shot before he went under

accidental pic --- which I think looks kinda cool
Really enjoyed a beautiful morning at my happy place in Wichita!


1st annual fundraising event

Rachel introduced us to this 22 year old Swainson's Hawk

Molly has been in captivity at Riverside Park all her life
This evening I got to volunteer at the Passport Event for a couple of hours at the nature center.  It was their first major fundraiser and I was pretty impressed with how well it went.  Very nice event.  The staff did a super job of pulling that together.

Andrew's fan club

4-9-16:  Enjoyed a chilly morning at Andrew's 2nd soccer game in Rosehill.  Brrrr, but a good game again!


After the game, we went to Belle Plaine for Art at the Arb.  It's a wonderful little weekend tulip festival and live music event.  What a beautiful place and we were surprised to learn that it's owned now by one of the Dixie Chicks.  Interesting history here and it's such a treasure.  Glad it's been revived!

hotdogs and bbq on the grounds

the A's
There are more pix on the Art at the Arb and Alpacas post.

my baby girl back in the day
4-10-16:  So tickled today to see Amy's post of Laura Lee on fb for siblings day! Love these girls.



Our JCRV friends have a game they play where they get points when they spot a Fedex truck. Well, David and I hit the jackpot in Wichita today.  I sent them these pix and texted them "Game Over!".



They all told me distribution centers don't count.  When did they come up with that rule?  LOL.

Rose and me
4-11-16:  Tom Cauthan from JCRV texted me to let us know that Marlin D is in a Wichita hospital ICU and having a tough time with heart issues.  We'd met them a few times at Johnson Creek, so we went up to St. Francis to see how they're doing.  Marlin is staying mostly sedated so we didn't bother him.  Had lunch with Rose and she brought us up to date.  Though he still has a long road ahead of him, things are moving in the right direction.  Prayers for them both!

Andrew, Grandpa, and Asher

Tonite we picked up Billy Sims BBQ and headed to Justin's & Brooke's house to celebrate David's birthday a little early.

Andrew, Justin, Brooke, Asher, and Grandpa

Grandpa and Grammy and the A's

that Asher!

Andrew supervising the lighting of the candles

Brooke's delish made-from-scratch chocolate cake

make a wish!

hb2u, hb2u, hb dear Grandpa......hb2u! and many more!

blow em out!

good try!

my 61 year old!

Asher serenaded us with Amazing Grace
Asher has been taking guitar lessons and can flat out play those strings!

Brooke says she hope that doesn't happen at school
Our skinny little Andrew did some entertaining as well.  When he'd accidentally lose his britches.

Asher helping Justin make a "story" (book)
We finished up a fun evening by playing a couple of hands of Panties.  David said it felt more like my birthday than his!  I'd been telling his it was time to teach Andrew, our gamer, how to play this game.  Turns out both boys were interested!  Asher referred to books as "stories".  Cracked us up.


Avery discussing strategy with Brooke

David explaining some of the rules to Andrew

oh, just a gecko

my cyst, my cyst
This afternoon I bought these rings and noticed I had to get a bigger size than usual. Once I got outside I saw this big ole lump on my knuckle. No pain or discomfort. Tonight Nurse Brooke said she's smashed a cyst of hers with a book and it worked for awhile.  So I said "sure, let's try it."  She placed a Bible on top of my hand and hit it with a book.  Yoooowchie!!! Dang!  My cyst is still there and now I have pain to go with it.  I googled ganglion cysts when I got home.  They have been called Bible cysts because folks used to smash them with a Bible (Bible Therapy).  It's not a recommended procedure any more.  But it was a mighty funny experiment.



4-12-16:  Since the wifi at the rv park is pretty much non-existent, we checked out the public library today in Derby.  So glad we did.  It's a really nice facility and the wifi was perfect!


the Redbuds are popping at the Derby Public Library

pretty facility -- hey who's that hottie in the white truck?

gorgeous Redbud
I'll def be coming back to this library.

Deb gave me some great knitting tips
4-13-16:  David asked me to make him some awesome fingerless gloves for flyfishing.  I say awesome because the pattern is awesome (see craft blog).  I've done quite a few fingerless mitts, but this is my first try at all the fingers.  Fingerless actually means the fingers stop at about that middle knuckle so he can use his fingers as he fishers.  Well, I kinda struggle with closing up the gaps on fingers.  I took my project to New Twist Yarn Shop in the Delano District in Wichita.  This is one of my fave shops.  Deb did a great job of helping me.  While I still need lots of practice, I feel a little more confident now.




They were having their Wednesday lunch bunch.  I really enjoyed visiting with them all!  May have to try knitting with them next time we're here.


Greg and Linda Sue
Finally got together with Greg and Linda Sue at Bite Me BBQ this evening!  They've been out of town and swamped with some family things.  We'll take them when we can get them.  Love those 2!



4-16-16:  Spent David's birthday morning at another chilly soccer game.  Brooke was out of town, but her entire family was there to cheer Andrew on.  The cousins really enjoyed each other!

This afternoon David and I had a relaxing afternoon chillaxin and eating cake.  He'd asked me to make him my "butterfinger" cake.  While it wasn't made from scratch like Brooke's, it was a success. Yum!

David tying one or 2 on
4-17-16:  What to do on a rainy day? Tie some flies and visit the library!

statue outside the Derby Public Libray

great place to do some blogging
Feels great to get caught up on a little computer work.

this "buttermilk" sky greeted me at Derby High Park this morning

4-18-16:  I was able to get in a few miles today at Derby High Park.  Love walking out here.


Dame's Rockets are popping out around the park

Ladybugs on Dame's Rockets

so happy to see so many dandelions -- that's a lot of wishes

they make honeybees happy

I'm not up to the 7 miles I was walking last year, but I'm working on it!

Dian Trainer, Blossom, and me with Blossom's yarn
4-21-16:  David and I went to get some yarn at Flatland Ranch this morning and to visit the alpacas.  I always love to meet the alpacas that provided the fiber I pick out! Love this ranch.  More pix on the post called Art at the Arb and Alpacas.


Asher and his dandelions

Avery, David, and Justin watching Andrew's soccer practice
4-22-16:  Enjoyed watching Andrew and his team practice this evening.  Then we went back to their house where J & B cooked some delish burgers and we finished out game of Panties.



Asher is learning to talk smack to the girls.  His big line tonight was "lick my dirt, Ladieees" (instead of eat my dust).  So funny.



And because Andrew's face and body language totally gives away whatever Grandpa draws, we tried to teach them about poker faces.  Asher caught on pretty easily.  Andrew thought it meant keep talking without moving your lips. Those boys!! And not that we're keeping tabs, but the Ladieeees won!


Laura Lee, the little mud wrestler

my beautiful baby girl
4-23-16:  Today is Laura's 34th birthday.  Wish we were together to celebrate.  She's in India with her hubs.  We tried calling her last night while at Justin's and left a voicemail with us singing to her.


Rocky joined us at soccer this morning.  Finally had some wonderful weather for soccer!

coming out of it

4-25-16:  David's colonoscopy!  Good results and won't have to repeat for 10 years.  This was the ONLY thing we had planned for the whole month before we got up here.  And it ended up being the day the alpacas were sheered.  Oh well, another year.



4-26-16:  All that's been on the news and weather today is how the conditions were going to be perfect for some severe weather tonight including hail and tornadoes.  They got the hail right, but no tornadoes.  Thankfully.


Rocky checking out the hail in Mac's yard



We thought the storm shelter at the RV park might be packed with people and their pets.  So we spent about 5 hours in Mac's basement.


So glad it turned out much milder than they'd expected.  It was the anniversary of the major Andover tornado, so folks were a little extra cautious.  Sure was nice to have a basement to sit in and watch TV and knit.

4-27-16:  Started a Panties game with Greg and Linda Sue today.  This time we played David and me against them instead of girls against guys.  We played about 3 rounds and decided to finish it next time we get together.  As always, it was fun with the Leighton's!


we're ready for Red Nose Day on May 26!


4-29-16:  After a yummy lunch at the Triangle, we played Panties again.  This time the boys weren't as interested in playing with us.  Andrew had a slight cold and didn't feel too well.  Asher had some lab work to take care of.  He pretended to run some specimens in his science kit test tubes.  The problems was, it was a urinalysis or 2.  LOL.  Andrew said he made him give him some of his urine.
Always entertained with those 2!  I guess it rocked our momentum because the guys won this time.


4-30-16:  Another chlly day for soccer.  A double-header for their last weekend.  We froze during the first game, but it began to feel pretty nice before the 2nd one was over.  So excited that we were able to attend all of Andrew's games this season!


After the games, we met them at La Hacienda in Derby for our "cya laters".  We will be heading out Monday morning.

Spent the afternoon at Doug's and Sheila's cabin.  Boy it's beautiful and relaxing out there!  Glad we finally got to see them!!

Tigger is pretty stressed about us leaving


5-1-16:  Said adios to Mac and Tigger this morning. It's amazing that Tigger always gets right up in my face and snuggles up right next to me.  It's amazing because I think I'm the only one in the family allergic to cats!  

Tomorrow morning we will roll out and do some exploring of northern Kansas before getting to the Black Hills.

We'll miss you, Doo-Dah!!

de Brito, Vanessa Selbst, and Ralph Macchio

No comments:

Post a Comment