Saturday, November 8, 2014

Old People!


Ok, so I don't really mean "old" people. But the last post was titled New People in ref to the babies we got to meet.  This post is more about longtime friends and family, hence "Old People".  And places.  Really loving Texarkana this year!


sky shot one afternoon at the rv park

John's grave
10-20-14:  Edith, David, and I visited family graves this morning to add a little autumn to them.

Daddy's and Mother's

My Gentry grandparents'

sister Julie's
So thankful for the above people and what they have meant to our family!  Still miss them every day and love that I still have dreams about them!

new card shark -- Drew Graves was my card buddy tonite in Pennies
Played cards tonite at Cranford's and Kathey's.  Drew was there and he played with his mammy as my partner.  We rocked!!


Gus in his Academy Sports outfit -- isn't he handsome?
10-21-14:  Gus started his part time job at Academy for the holidays.  Hoping to get some inside scoop on sales on Keens!  :)


Lisa Hardin Seigel, Janet Johnson Rowe, and me

nearly 40 years of fun with these girls!
10-22-14:  Got to have lunch with 2 of my longtime college besties! Love these ladies!

cool ultralite that was buzzing the rv park today
I think he was trying to entertain Rocky and me -- kept circling around us
classy rv's here

had a whirlwind of a breakfast with bff, Jerri at Cracker Barrel

love my sista!
10-23-14:  David and I got to have breakfast with my bff, Jerri this morning before she heads back to the northwest country. She was here to spend time with her brother as he's had some serious health issues.  RIP, Mike.

our boys on the way to a Razorback game weekend in Fayetteville

Gus through David's eyes

Gustopher

10-28-14:  Today is mine and David's 26th anniversary! We'd really forgotten about it ........ because we never know what day it is!  But we got a sweet email from Linda Sue this morning which reminded us.  Even tho we didn't make plans for the big day (tho I did spend part of it with my gynocologist), Edith took us and Gus to a new place in Texarkana called Twisted Fork.  Might be the best steaks in town! And some of our favorite company!!

Egret doing a little fishing at Wright Patman
10-30-14:  David and I went out to Elliot's Bluff at Wright Patman to watch the sunset this evening.  Just beautiful.  I could do this every day!

Great Blue looking for supper

beautiful bird

there it goes

fish were really hitting the water during the afterglow

day is done
When I lived here I just didn't appreciate the beauty of Lake Wright Patman as much as I do now.  NE TX really has some great nature.


not sure what Sherry and I were saying, but I'm sure we were giving orders

annual tradition with my LE peeps

we can be serious when we need to be
11-1-14:  Billy and Sherry had us out to their place to enjoy a campfire and weenie roast with our LE peeps.  We have a tradition of getting together, usually at a Mexican restaurant.  This was much nicer!  Not only were we outside, enjoying a campfire, but we also weren't straining to hear each other at the opposite end of a table!  Thx, Sherry!  Love these girls!


he had no idea how perfectly he was positioned at Amigo Juan's
11-2-14:  David planned a little road trip this morning around the area.  We took hwy 8 from Maud to Atlanta, then did a little grocery shopping at the Atlanta Walmart after lunch.

look at her wild eyes
11-3-14:  Carol got hold of my hair this morning and chopped off 3 inches!  She and I have actually been planning this for about a month.  Love it!

love my beautiful hairdresser of 20 or more years!
shortest it's been since before I retired
David snapped this while I was knocked out after my procedure -- pretty sure this is what I'll look like in a coffin
11-4-14: Colonoscopy!  I do know how to have fun.  This is my 2nd one.  Ten years ago I had an early one because I'd told my doc that my Papaw Gentry had died from colon cancer.  Mine was fine.  Later I told my cousin, Janis, that she should really get one since he'd died from cc. She said, "he didn't die from colon cancer.  It was prostate cancer!"  Oh.
btw - good report from this one, too.

Our beautiful Edith with Jimmy, Sharon, and us
11-5-14:  Jimmy and Sharon came to town today for a visit with Edith.  We met them all and Gus at Outback.  They are so hilarious . True bickering siblings!  Always fun!


11-6-14:  Greg and Linda Sue just got back from an Ozarks trip and a stop at the War Eagle Fair.  I had asked her to look for us some visors.  She couldn't fine any for us, but she got a great one for Rocky! It's a cute little Razorback visor.


With sunglasses!
he really is a Rockstar!
Rocky sends a big THX hug and kiss to Aunt Linda Sue and Uncle Greg!  He loves his hippy specs!


this Maple in Hot Springs was just outside the USDA office 
11-6-14:  David, Rocky,  and I drove to Hot Springs this morning to get fingerprinted for our Nat'l Park gigs coming up in 2015.  The Ouachitas look stunning right now.  The colors are popping on the various Maples, the Hickories, Dogwoods,  Sassafrass, and the Sweetgums.

where we went to get our fingerprints

not a drinking fountain .... unless you like to drink HOT water

more info about this Hot Springs water

Bathhouse Row canopied with Magnolia trees
love being back "home" with all the Magnolias
Rocky and I strolled about half the Grand Promenade while waiting for my appt
The Grand Parmanade is a 1.2 paved trail behind the bathhouses.  It was originally an "extension" of the bathhouses back in the day.  Between the bath and massage, guests were encouraged to take a walk and commune with nature here.

one of the hot springs along the Grand Promenade
Still a nice place to commune with nature and read up on some history on the markers.

it's probably been 30-40 yrs since I was on this trail

must bring my checkers next time

another fountain from the hot springs
Wish we'd had a little more time to explore.  This is one of the few serene places in a very touristy, busy town.


the famous McClard's
On the way out of town, we stopped at McClard's.  Luckily it was about 11:00ish, so the crowd wasn't crazy.  I'm not sure I've ever been able to get a seat in there.  Even though we could have today, we got ours to go. Still very good, but I'd take Big Jake's in Txk over it.

took this left off of the Cowhide Cove cutoff
Narrow's Dam on Lake Greeson
Being a man after my heart, David selected a wonderful, off-the-interstate drive back home.  A flood of memories from our younger days all the way back. Love this neck of the woods. We used to do a lot of camping and fishing in these parts of AR.  And trout fishing.  Those were the days.

Took a "shortcut" through the woods around Cowhide Cove over to Swaha. Kinda forgot the left we were supposed to take, so that's why the street sign pic above........for next time. All 3 of us loved riding through these woods.  Rocky got to hang out the window most of the way. Then we showed him where his "sister", Whiff, escaped from Daddy and he had to chase her all through the campground.  Boy, we had some good times when our kids were little.

the Lake Greeson side of the dam
great trout fishing spot on the Little MO River below the dam
Rocky exploring on the river side of the dam
the water is still crystal clear
my fave fly fisherman has spent many an hour in these waters
and has taken a few falls on the slick rocks
Loved today's adventure.  Where has the time gone?  Seems it was just yesterday we were up here once a month or so with the kiddos.  I sure miss them!

It also seems it was just yesterday that we arrived in Texarkana for a couple of months. And now, we only have about 3 weeks left.  This year just might be one of my fave stays here since we started traveling.  Lots to be thankful for!!  Looking so forward to more family time!

Much Love from NET!


Paul McLean (aka Brad Pitt), Bad Bec, and John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment