Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lotta Love!



I just love Valentine's week!  Hearts and hugs and kisses and candy!!  Oh, and occassionally a broken tooth.

my dentist, Dr. Sondra Slater, and her assistant,  looked like a minions!

see?
2-13-14:  David and I tried the Ridge cafe the other day for breakfast.  Really good spot.  But after I finished it felt like something was stuck to my tooth.  Maybe a potato skin?  When I couldn't get it off, I took a look and realized half my tooth was gone!  Thankfully, no pain whatsoever.  Connie recommended her Kerrville dentist to me and she took care of me!  We actually had a good time!  After she finished working on me she said, "this was really fun today!" I told her she needs to get out more.


This could so be my card to David
but instead I got him a bag full of sweets with mushy words on them
David flashing me
My Valentine
2-14-14:  Man am I lucky!  My valentine is not only sweet and handsome, but he plans the most exciting adventures!  Today David, Rocky, and I  explored new places in the hill country!

Guadalupe River as we went through Hunt, TX
more of the Guadalupe
interesting ironwork at a hill country ranch 
one of the beautiful views on 187 south of Lost Maples Natural Area
Hwy 187 northwest of Utopia TX. Site of Old Taylor School, founded by settlers in 1883.
this view is one reason we love the TX Hill Country so
Mac and Ernie's
David has been trying to get us to this spot to eat for a couple of years.  One winter they were closed for remodeling.  Another winter, we just couldn't manage to hit the few days per week they are open.  Finally made it today and enjoyed a yummy burger.  This was the first place shown on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

saw about 12 or so of these coyotes strung up on a ranch fence
Medina Lake is drying up
Drove on over to Medina Lake to see what toll the 3 year TX drought has had on it. Wow!!

Medina Lake was impounded in 1911 and was filled to capacity in 1919. Water from the lake provides drinking water and is also used to irrigate farm and ranch land southwest of San Antonio.


dam
lake levels have always fluctuated dramatically in times of drought and heavy rains. In 2002 almost a year's worth of rain fell in the area in less than a week. 
Twelve feet of water plunged over the spillway and the lake rose within inches of the top of the dam.

(I read in the Texarkana paper a few days later, that there are efforts underway to open the dam back up for foot traffic)

pretty sad
Lots of homes and businesses around the lake are simply boarded up.

the lake bed looks like a prairie - with canyons
David took this picture of the Medina River as it crosses Hwy 16 north of Medina. The clear, spring-fed stream is quite a contrast to the dry lake bed.
What a wonderful, educational day with my man!

Tom looks great in his apron!

Connie and Myrna
Tonite JCRV had a lovely Valentine's Dinner for all of us.  Connie, Lisa, and Myrna outdid themselves as usual!  The food and decos were so good!  And many of the JCRV guys helped cook, serve, and clean up!
They do spoil us here!

BJ, Bill, George, Jerri, me, David

Perkins and Hoots

My Valentine and me
George and Jerri -- love that we get to spend special occasions with them!
my bestie and me
Kyle and Vickey (from Kansas) won the 1st place thong! Or is it a pollen mask?

After our lovely dinner, 3 couples participated in the annul Newlywed Game.  David and I won this 2 years ago, so we spent much of our day today trying to remember questions and trying to guess new questions!  We were ready!!  However, Connie came up with some great questions that we did not anticipate!  So we got 2nd place.  Which equals next-to-last.  At least we beat Jerri and George (who got 2nd place last year)  For our prize we rec'd a box of Valentine's candy and my own picture that has been on the fireplace mantel winter after winter. Tom quickly reclaimed it, however.




Fun February and we still have more Feb days to go!  


Hugs and Kisses,

Honey, Sweetie, and Sweetakins

No comments:

Post a Comment