Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cool Places, Strange Faces


Aug & Sept in the Ozarks have been amazing!  A few warm days, but only one or 2 triple digit days!  I can live with that!

Beethoven's Trumpet (with ear) Opus 132 Reverse by John Baldessari
A familiar face at Crystal Bridges  
Besties
a little creepy
Beethoven's Trumpet w/ ear. And w/Jerri
Man on a Bench -- he looked eerily real
didn't catch the title, but this lady was made out of buttons
Old Self Variation 2 by Evan Penny
yep, Gus, I think I pulled off the drunk look on my new dl
And those weren't even the strangest faces we've seen!  :)


Quick stop at Beaver Dam
the White River side of the dam looks much like Lake Taneycomo at Table Rock Dam
front of Crystal Bridges Museum
overlooking the galleries
A Close Call by William Robinson Leigh
The Backwoods of America by Jasper Francis Cropsey (i could live here!)
Kindred Spirits by Asher Brown Durand -
Alice paid 45 million for this piece after a challenge at auction that it was NOT going to go to hillbillies
reminds me a little bit of Whitaker Point in AR
Niagara Falls by Karl Bodmer
Ten Potawatomi Chiefs by George Winter
Jerri, me, George checking out one of the galleries
Norman Rockwell's original Rosie the Riveter
outside of one of the galleries from another gallery
I just don't get what lands some modern art in a museum -- but it's fun
short break
oh, ya'll get a room!
metal tree out front
from indoors
unnamed
Beethoven's Trumpet by John Baldessari- and Evan Penny's self whatever in the background


I could get lost in this one -- it's called
Enassamishhonjijweiam by Tom Uttech
another gallery
the tree
8-26-13:  David and went over to Rogers, AR yesterday to spend the night with Jerri and George.  This morning the 4 of us got up and went to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.  Very interesting place founded by Alice Walton (of the Walmart empire).  Free museum and some walking trails which we will want to go back for!

they're baaaack!  I don't even like them that much, but glad they're back
the Rock
more shrooms outside the camper (next blog will show them at the end of their life)

birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees
bumble bees love this flower
he couldn't have cared less that I was there


crabapples
caught a praying mantis for Morgan -- Morgan's Monday Morning Mantis in a Mayo jar
David said you'd have thought I was a big game hunter after I caught this
8-27-13:  David and I went to see The Butler.  FANTASTIC movie.  One that I'd buy and watch a few times.


those little dots on the water are Sherryl and me in our kayaks
here we come -- after I got a little hung up on the bouy line
row, row, row your boat
hey, David and Rocky!
notice the kayak is sitting pretty low?
Sherryl enjoyed a sit on kayak -- which I'll try next time
tho, the sit in's are just fine when they don't have a leak
at the Dewey docks
took us about an hour to go from Moonshine Beach to the docks at the Corps
heading to the "beach" where Rocky likes to swim
basically my kayak was like rowing a bathtub full of water

after David and Sherryl helped me dump the water out of my kayak, we headed back to Moonshine Beach
so relaxing
perfect cruise
8-28-13:  Sherryl and I enjoyed a lazy morning on Table Rock in kayaks.  We rented them (for free) at Moonshine Beach.  The weather and lake conditions couldn't have been more perfect!  Well, except for the fact that my kayak had a hole in it.  And when we said "it's not gonna sink", David said "it might with Becky in it".  Freudian slip?  Yeah, sure, that's the ticket.  I did get to see my first Green Heron out there.  I didn't take my phone or camera, so no pix.  And since I was pretty much floating around in a half-full bathtub, I'm glad I didn't take it with me.  My goal was to get back to Moonshine before the Branson Belle.  With my leaky ride, I didn't want the Belle's wake to tump me over.  I've seen her wake really stir up some waves and toss the Corps dock around.  As it turned out today, not much of one at all.

the front of Dave's and Jackie's boat
and the nice little wake it leaves behind
not a lot of traffic out today
Jackie and me
Cap'n Dave
heading in to grab a bite at one of the cafe's on the water
one of the pretty fingers of Table Rock
temp was perfect, and the sky amazing
this little spot is owned by Enterprise Cars and is only about 15K square feet
The Swing
why do kids always hog the fun stuff?  :)
my feller
Jackie, I said MY feller
now then
yep, that's YOUR feller -- such a cute couple! Love these 2
Goat Island -- lake level is up a bit
beautiful spot
some of the cliffs on the lake
8-30-13:  Our sweet friends, Jackie & Dave, took us boating today.  It's the Friday before Labor Day and I kinda expected it to be crowded.  But we beat the crowds.  It was beautiful, peaceful, and a nice temp.  Love spending time with them at their cabin and on the water.  Next time, maybe we'll do some tubing and catch The Swing!!

When we got back to the campsite, our Kentucky friends, Joan and Patrick, had arrived.  Looking forward to workamping with them again this year.

8-31-13:  One of our fave things to do is to take Rocky down to the lake and let him swim.  He could chase those sticks all day long.  It's the cutest thing ever.  In fact, a lady came out and asked David today if she could take pix of Rocky swimming because it's so cute.  He usually gets lots of attention out there in the water. He's oblivious to it, and that makes it even cuter!

9-2-13:  A funny thing happened in the visitor center today which I wish we could've gotten a picture of.  I was talking to some Iowans about the dam tour and suddenly there was a pretty large crowd circling me.  I just kept talking to them all about this and that and they were listening intently -- some with there mouths open.  What I was saying wasn't all that interesting, so we all decided it must've been the accent.  SMH.

9-4-13:  David and I played the par 3 today.  Perfect temps and we played pretty well.  I only played 9 and he played 18.  I had a birdie on one hole.  Which I call an eagle because it was a 2 which is one over a hole in one, so EAGLE, right?

Ron, Dawn and Cooper (is Coop mooning me?)
9-5-13:  Our Michigan friends, Ron and Dawn arrived today to workamp with us!  We met them 2 winters ago in the TX Hill Country and they were hooked up to be here at the Dewey for a couple of months this year.

Dave wanted a pic of my loud shoes
Jackie, Dave, and Bria came over to visit this afternoon after hiking the Henning. Sure gonna miss them when they have to go back to St. Louis.

September is off to a great start and we're looking forward to more fun and learning experiences this month!

Osmosis Amoebas!

Evan, Rosie, and Michael Phelps


No comments:

Post a Comment