Friday, November 2, 2012

Hootenanny! Or.... Com'pnys Comin'!



Spider on the Visitor Center window
Cuzzins
reinstated
9-17-12:  Got invited to a Master Naturalist meeting in Springfield tonite by Gala and Sherryl.  Might've been because neither of them wanted to drive, but whatever -- it was great fun!

Sherryl, me, Gala, forester & Master Naturalist sponsors
 Frances Maine, a MO forester, spoke to us on forest management.  Learned so many cool things: such as how to tell the difference in White and Red Oaks ( the ole Cowboy and Indian method), that SW MO is considered to be Oak and Hickory Forests, why some trees are taken out of a forest when they seem perfectly good.  Frances graduated from SFA's forestry school in Nac, so that was kinda cool also!


David on orange loop w/state park marina in background
ground web 
The Dewey from the orange/green loops
9-18-12:  David and I hiked the Orange and Green loops today.

boulders from Baird Mtn
fungus on the ground throughout that hike
bigger Baird boulders
cool tree and boulder that were connected
see?
happy day in the woods
name that shroom
springhouse or storm shelter on the hike
one of several fallen trees
abandoned homestead
cool to catch sight of it while in the middle of nowhere
old farming equipment
couldn't get David to stick his eye up to this
piece of art
little bit of a trickle
pretty trail
dam
pretty spot
would love to see this when there is more water
natural bridge
and a great place to stop and gaze
another old homestead
beginning of a cairn? or a lunch table
never get tired of hiking with my honey
part of our loop crossed the duck drive up Baird Mtn
end of the trail.  or the beginning.
Beautiful hike, old homesteads, and I was able to share my vast knowledge of forestry -- that I learned last night!

It's "I do", David!
9-19-12:  The visitor center set up a mock wedding and reception today for pix.  David and I pretended to redo our vows.

Dewey's cuz
And a cousin of Dewey Short's came in today with her new hubby. Pretty cool.

at SDC with our new peeps, Brenda & Scott
We had to be able to crawl through that hole in order to take the cave tour
I think this is about me
My fella and me
We had about 700 steps to walk
spooky
check out the hole in the top!  Pretty!  back in the day folks slid down the rock pile to enter
didn't have to deal with these steps
Cathedral room
let's try it
stalag-something
drapes
helloooo down there
tram back up to the top
hillbilly life at sdc
cute
the guy with the long hair is one of the Cleverly's
furniture shop at SDC
woodworker at .......work
blacksmith
9-21-12:  Went to Silver Dollar City & Marvel Cave today with Scott and Brenda. Forgot my knee braces, so I was feeling those 700 steps pretty early in. But it was so cool!! Lots of bats!!  They didn't bother any of us, but did fly around us quite a bit.

used to me Marble Cave
It used to be called Marble Cave because it was believed to be loaded with marble, and was mined. No marble.

Fountain Room -- 500 ft below 
The Waterfall Room is 500 ft down.  Back in the day, folks would be given rubber pants so they could slide down into the cave on the rock pile. I kinda wanted to try that!
Supper at Cracker Barrel with all the workampers tonite!

Christena & Will at the VC
9-22-12:  Will & Christena came to visit for Will's birthday!  Uh-hummm, nieces and nephews!! Spending your bday with Aunt B is a blast!  Ok, so maybe I wasn't THE reason they came to Branson for Will's bday, but it worked out great for me!

Point Lookout at C of O
at C of O campus
in the chapel at C of O
Christena, Will, and Favorite Aunt B
on Point Lookout
After lunch at the Mexican place in Hollister, we strolled around College of the Ozarks and got some pix on Point Lookout. A man who claimed to be a pro photographer took our pix with my phone. Then I took them to the Dewey (David's working today).
After showing them around the center, watching the "dam" movie, they went on the "dam tour" with David as their "dam tour guide".

Peace Out
As they toured the dam, Bob gave me a tour of the hilly roads on his trike!  Gonna miss you and Terri, ya'll!

Tonite we introduced them to Danna's bbq and Will, Christena, and I took the MDC Nite Hike on one of the hatchery's trails.

We heard one these -- can you identify it?
were kinda surrounded by these guys - what is he?
It was a HOOTENANNY (thx, Christena) because they called in Barred Owls and a Screech Owl.  And Will spotted a spooky guy standing at the top of the hill watching us.  Creeeeepy!  Wonderful day and night spent with 2 of "my kids".  Thx for hanging out with me, you 2!







ground web

the Belle came MIGHTY close to the shore
I spotted this on the trail and dug it up for Morgan  to identify
9-23-12:  I made 4 pillowcases and walked the Lakeshore Trail this morning.  On the walk I spotted some cool mushrooms, spooky trees, Monarch butterflies, and listened to various bird sounds. The rest of the morning I spent chillin' outside with Rocky, listening to the sounds of the Branson Belle, 2 or 3 different kinds of Woodpeckers, & squirrels fighting.  Ahhhhh.... fall!

Greg & Linda Sue heading into the San Fran Trolley for a dam tour
at the dam
Scott is so frolicky
at the Visitor Center 3rd floor deck overlooking Table Rock
Greg and Linda Sue arrived.  I took them over to the visitor center to see David and to check the place out.  After showing them around the center, watching the "dam" movie, they went on the "dam tour" with David as their "dam tour guide". de ja vu?  Had supper at their cabin tonite.  Which, by the way, was at Stagecoach RV Park and is a very nice place to stay.






















and then there's this
mink
he was watching us, too
can you see him in this pic?



our first RED leaves to see in the Ozarks - at Wish Bowl Falls
this guy looked like a cartoon 
his face looks painted on -- and he's got his mouth full!

different one that looks faceless
what kind of snake is this?


9-24-12:  Spent today at Dogwood Canyon with David, Greg and Linda Sue, Scott and Brenda.  What a beautiful day to be outside walking and enjoying nature!

When we got home, we sat around the camper while the men folk helped Scott install his new awning. Greg, Linda Sue, David, and I went to Pierce Arrow for the evening show.  They have the funniest comedian!

Pretty sure I broke my toe tonite on Rocky's steps in the camper.  Ouchie!!!! Just glad it was AFTER Dogwood Canyon!






not sure what the gun is, but the hand looks like a great Panties hand!!




David's Grandpa Beard had one of these and demonstrated for the kids once -- on Grandma Beard's kitchen cabinet






My fave scene at C of O
9-25-12:  Today the 6 of us went to College of the Ozarks to visit the Ralph Foster Museum --- The Smithsonian of the Ozarks.  lol.  It was the first time for everyone except David and me.  But we love that museum and got even more out of it this 2nd time!

Tried to eat at C of O's Keeter Center, but it would've been a wait of 45 min to an hr.  We all agreed we were way to hungry for that.  So we drove down the road a bit to Mr. Gilberti's.  Always great!

Kevin and Linda Sue
the older half of Six
After lunch, we loaded up again and caught the 3:00 SIX show!


9-26-12:  Met Greg and Linda Sue at the Outpost for breakfast before they hit the road and we went to work.  They did stop by the Dewey before leaving to say bye.  And to break the news to us that Andy Williams had died.  Sad day for Branson.

Cranford's mom and stepdad at Table Rock Dam
Mary and Ken
This afternoon Cranford's mom and stepdad came by the visitor center to say "hey" to bring us a jar of her awesome pickled okra!  Soooo yummy.

shooting range
Scott waiting for me to push his button
pretty views
9-28-12:  Went to Ozark Mtn Shooters with Scott today. He competes in sporting clays tourneys and wanted to practice a bit.  This was a new experience for me.  It was interesting to see how it all worked, and it was surrounded by the gorgeous Ozarks. He gave me a tour of the place and told me how the various shooting sports work.  Thx, Scott!  Fun pushing your buttons today!

pretty -- but just wait til the next post!
9-29-12:  Yes!!! Color is arriving in the Ozarks -- Monarchs are passing thru, and the birds around the campsite are extra frisky! Our Red-Belly is hanging around a lot and oh, so pretty!
Hogs played today.  And that's all I'll say about that.

My new Iowa friend, Joan
10-1-12:  Met a man at the visitor center today who graduated from HS in Rock Rapids.  His sis was with him and she took the time (while the men were on the dam tour) to teach me how to knit the self-ruffling scarves.  Thx, Joan!!

10-3-12:  Mailed in our ballots for this year's Prez election.  We'll know in a little over a month if the vote goes our way!

Not scared
Rocky treed a squirrel today!!  Well, on our walk, he mosied up to a squirrel.  The squirrel then mosied up the tree every so slowly.  But hey!!  He did tree it!

Roy's horse and Bullet, the dog
Went to the Haygood show tonite with Patrick and Joan.  That was a great show!  And I got a big ole kiss from my man on their Kiss Cam for the audience to see!

addicted to making these
10-4-12:  Finished my first self-ruffled scarf today!  Guess what my peeps will be getting for Christmas?????

Laura Lee sent this pic of Jerri & me from our Texarkana College days -- and my cat, Taffy
10-5-12:  Lunch and visit with Jerri and George!  Yay -- they arrived last night!  Showed them around the Dewey and the "dam movie".  They politely declined the "dam tour".

Brenda and me at Grand Village

Jerri & me at Grand Village
Kris Kringle and me at Grand Village
I guess we DO shrink with age
10-6-12:  Jerri, Brenda, and I shopped at the Grand Village today.  Couldn't bear to watch the Hogs play Auburn. Ate at Mel's Diner where the servers sing.  Pretty good eatin', tho crowded and loud.  Chilly today and I love it!!  And the Hogs?? They won.  I was shocked.

lots to take home
they bring it in a skillet
where are the dang rolls?
yeah, I guess we can smile with our mouths full
Jerri and da bear
playa
10-7-12:  George and Jerri's ONE request during their stay was to go to Bass Pro in Springfield and eat at Lambert's.  Oh, ok, then.  LOL.  This was mine and David's first trip to Lambert's.  HEAD'S UP!.  That's one of their motto's because they are the home of the "Throwed Rolls".  And sho 'nuff -- I got hit in the head with one!  But it didn't stop me from eating it.  Yummy, southern cooking --- and a sinful amount of it!! Plenty to take home!

Jerri and George at Danna's - my fave place
Jackie and Bria chillin'
Jerri, Rocky, and I chillin'
George, Jerri, Dave, Jackie, me, David, and Rocky
10-8-12:  Our friends Jackie and Dave came over to visit today.  They haven't seen Jerri and George since the winter we all met at JCRV.  We all went to Danna's, then hung out in the cool, fall air with our blankets at the campsite.  Good day.  Great friends.

10-9-12:  Took G and J to see SIX.  Always a wonderful show!  And Pat Boone was in the audience.

10-10-12:  The 4 of us went to see TX Tenors!  Outstanding!!!

ah, it's my birthday?? I'd totally forgotten!
10-12-12:  Gus turned 29 today!  My baby.  Where does the time go?

Phyllis, Gala, and me
Gordon and Sheila
Brookie, Sherryl, and Greg
Tammy & Rachel
Alfred, Morgan, Scott, Sheila, and Eli
We planned a potluck at the workampers' spots for tonite.  BUT we had rain all day long.  So the campsites were a little muddy.  We moved it to the visitor center.  I came out really well on this deal.  David and cooked beans and grilled the meat. I did..... well, nothing!  Fun evening with the Dewey folks!

Kinda behind on my blogging -- but will be posting another one very soon.  Hopefully.  Stay in touch with us!

us
Much love from MO!

Hoot & Annie, and our trusty dog, Table Rocky





1 comment:

  1. Great photos! Your resident photographer is doing better than Celia's resident photographer! :)

    Still high 70s/low 80s here in Benson!

    ReplyDelete